Ten years ago (1998), I…
- Almost got sued in juvenile court for breaking somebody’s arm using a door, an armchair, and a well-placed dropkick. So I got kicked out from my section.
- Found out that people found me “extremely weird” because I was talking to plants.
- Realized that I’ve been missing out on the pleasures of eating cheese-flavored popcorn and melon-flavored snow cream.
- Played the first computer game I was legitimately addicted to, and that game was StarCraft.
- Was introduced by my own parents into politics by asking me what I thought of them voting for Jose de Venecia instead of Erap Estrada… and the Sunday night political roundtable over dinner began.
Five years ago (2003), I…
- Was in my sophomore year and was introduced to left-wing activism through the campus press.
- Was the first student in my batch to consciously use a curse word (“fuck”) to emphasize a point in graded recitation.
- Found out that the best way to kill seven minutes and spend two bucks is to smoke a cigarette.
- Found out that the best way to kill five minutes and spend ten bucks was to buy “manggang international” from Manang Mani (mango, chili-flavored salt, bagoong, vinegar, and topped with a small amount of peanuts).
- Started The Marocharim Experiment, and things will never, ever, be the same again.
Three years ago (2005), I…
- Had my first legitimate, recognized and highly-publicized relationship that ended up on the kind of sour note that cemented the saga of it on the annals of campus history.
- Had my first legitimate, recognized and highly-publicized romantic relationship that ended up on the kind of bitter note that cemented the saga of it on the annals of The Marocharim Experiment.
- Realized that fighting for the one you love, and for causes you believe, in takes a lot out of you, and you start questioning things one by one.
- Made friendships I never thought existed for me, or would last so long.
- Entered phase one of my quarter-life crisis by hitting the big Two-Oh.
A year ago (2007), I…
- Embarked on the thesis project that would have my very name etched in stone.
- Realized that having a neurochemical imbalance isn’t all that bad, except that people want you to talk about it openly so that they can talk about it behind your back.
- Realized that I don’t really have to put up with things I can’t do, or things I don’t like, so maybe I should start making myself happy for once.
- Met the biggest group of hemorrhoidal, diarrheal, constipated, fistulated assholes in the world that to call them mere “assholes” is to dignify their statuses as such.
- Finally got over my anger issues and began to deal with my inner self.
- Got to talk with my dentist, who says that I’m better off allowing my mild tooth-root abcess to go away on its own because no man can stand the pain of extraction sans anaesthesia.
- Was watching the news and was sold on the genuineness of Jun Lozada, and that Gloria Arroyo should take the high road and resign.
- Started familiarizing myself with the taste of Pepsi and RC Cola, because Manila is not the land of Coke.
- Heard of what happened in UP Baguio’s miting de avance and resolved not to write about it because I don’t have actual evidence to start ranting.
- Played the 20th loop of “Uninvited” on my phone, so I resolved to buy a bigger memory card with my first salary.
- Explained to my mom that Chucks are perfectly suitable for my work attire.
- Opened a bank account, but my mom and the teller were kind of surprised that I don’t know how to count money fast.
- Helped a neighbor out by loaning out one of my suits for his high school prom.
- Am planning on watching a “Maalaala Mo Kaya” episode.
- Developed a celebrity crush on KC Concepcion (I don’t know who I’m crushing on anymore: Anne Curtis, Shaina Magdayao, or KC)
Tomorrow, I will…
- Never know.
* – grabbed from Erik